Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bibimbap and Bulgogi burgers!

Foooooood - seems to be the hot topic this time of the year. I've had a lot of questions regarding the food in Korea so far and how I manage to be feeding myself and so this subject will dominate this post - it takes added importance as this is the Baha'i month of fasting (no food and drink between sunrise and sunset as a part of one's individual spiritual cleansing) and once again the fast has fallen at a time when I've started a new job. On a side note it always feels rude to meet new people and then knock back their offers to go to lunch or to reject all the free food that seems to welcome someone at a new work place... all part of the tests that come with the fast!
So, despite the fact that I am unable to eat during the day, I have still had the pleasure of trying the local delicacies during the night hours - cue the vampire music.... Every night I glide down gracefully from the 9th floor of my castle, I mean, hotel and go on the prowl for fresh blood, I mean, food.... well, it'd suit if this was Pennsylvania. Ulsylvania. hmmmm.
I find that the key to discovering food in a foreign country and not getting sick is to balance caution with adventure and to have a bit of common sense - from previous experience the best method is to have a local friend or a friend who is familiar with the way food goes in the area, help you on your journey of discovery. That way, they already know the best places, the good types of food you should try and what is more than likely to make you spend more time in a bathroom than you normally would. Having said that, Korea is definitely no China or India and the standards of cleanliness and hygiene are much higher - of all the Asian countries, Korea is probably second to only Japan in being the most modernised - it is definitely cleaner than Malaysia and Bali and they are generally pretty safe spots. So even if you have no clue, you'll generally get away without getting sick - although you might find out later that you may have eaten Lassie - no worries.
In Seoul, I spent a night with a friend who is very familiar with Korea and she took me to this place that made tofu based soup - and it tasted awesome.
However, I now find myself in a bit of a bind - I haven't got any real local friends here yet. All the people I've met so far are other expats and like most expats - not to be judgemental - don't know a lot of the language and tend to only know where all the western type food joints are. And aren't always that adventurous.
One local I did meet - the guy who was showing me potential apartments (sweet guy) - took me for bulgogi, which was also awesome. He was extremely impressed at my willingness to try everything and that I took to chopsticks like a fish to water - sure you can say being born in China probably means it was always meant to be but I blame the hours of late night practice at the dodgy Northbridge Asian restaurants - long live Uncle Billy's! - and when I was picking up what appeared to be quail eggs with my chopsticks, he said even Koreans find doing that tricky! Haha, I'm so Asian.
Aside from that one experience, I find that due to the general overall hunger that takes over as the sun hits the horizon, I've mainly been dining at the restaurants and the food court at the Hyundai Department store and trying the variety of foods on offer there. Noodles, donkatsu, bibimbap, dumplings (yes!) and steam buns have all been mercilessly smashed - some I've had a few times because they taste so good!
For posterity reasons, I have also visited the local Macca's to try out the unique items on the menu - I know, I know, I have been a long standing opponent to the devil's restaurant and not often do I traverse through the gates of hell that are the golden arches, but I feel compelled to taste the local versions of the menu - it is incumbent on one to try a McFelafel in Israel or a Maharaja Mac in India, so of course I had to try the Bulgogi burger... it wasn't half bad, but I doubt it will feature in my regular routine.
Last night however, I went out exploring to see the local restaurants - to see if I could find something different. Lets just say, it was quite an experience, lots of flashing neon signs, pictures of random food, lots of Korean menus that I had no idea what was going on and many of the restaurants had the Japanese style tiny tables you kneel at.... and I was so hungry and overwhelmed with choice, I just went to Burger King... woo go me! That is where you need a friend with some direction. Today was different, and I found this place with a great beansprout soup - was a lot of food for only $5!
For those unfamiliar with Korean cuisine, when you go to a restaurant, your meal (which is comparatively pretty cheap) is generally accompanied by a whole range of side dishes that are all free and literally unlimited - you finish it and they give you more - its awesome! The side dishes usually consist of random vegetables, kim chi (of course) and maybe some sort of seafood. One restaurant gave me films of seaweed (typically used for sushi) which are used to roll up rice and requires some deft chopstick skills to pull off - I think I probably need a bit more practice but I made a solid attempt.
Needless to say, I have already frequented an Indian restaurant (vital to living anywhere is finding the nearest source of butter chicken - definitely not in Vic Park anymore!)
Next in my food adventures is finding a keen Korean barbeque venue - I have realised that I have to quickly become the local friend who knows the best places to eat before people come to visit! and I don't intend to disappoint!
Let that serve as an invitation to you dear readers! However I may need a few months before you come round... Otherwise, who knows what you might eat - sure it will taste great anyway!
Until next time - annyonghigaseyo!

1 comment:

  1. the title of this post made me happy.

    keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete